Monday, October 08, 2007

Affordable Trips To The Grocery Store

I really wish I could recall where I read an article about a lady who, as part of her research to determine if she could quit her job and stay home with the kids, offered the following tip to cut grocery bills: In addition to clipping coupons, use the sale ad that comes weekly in the mail to plan menus. This is the part I was missing...I was clipping coupons like mad, and then spending a fortune on, say, meat. If you think about it, there is always meat on sale. Today it was ground beef and chicken...as well as a host of frozen chicken and fish.

So, I made my grocery list using the sale ad, I clipped coupons, and off I went this morning. This is no joke...my total was $86. Then I ran my grocery store savings card through and the total reduced to $76. And then I ran the coupons and the total was...$65. I saved 20 bucks just like that. I don't feel I skimped a bit...I bought fresh fruit, I bought organic veggies, I bought meat, I bought 2 loaves of bread, I bought two gallons of milk...my cart was full!

Try it...you will not believe how easy it is to save money at the grocery store!

2 comments:

Christina said...

I was spending about $140 a week for a family of 3 and I did the same and tried to decide if I coudl stay home. The grocery bill was one of the first I went to work on. We've got it down to about $70 a week and that includes cleaning supplies and toiletries as well. Here are some tips:
-buy store brands when possible
-go meatless 2-3 days per week. (like a veggie caserole or salad with nuts)
-drink water with lime or lemon instead of buying drinks.
-limit milk intake
-buy sales and use coupons
-keep a standard weekly list (for example, I know that I use 1 gallon of milk a week and 1 loaf of bread)
-limit purchase of packaged, processed goods
-make a menu (for example when I shop I know that Monday is leftovers, Tuesday is Italian night so when I shop I look for a cheap Italian meal (not always the same, like spaghetti, maybe next week, it pasta with home made alfredo sauce.)
-always use the same list every week for snacks, breakfasts and lunches
-keep the dinners with variety
-always make sure to buy fruit on sale
-always make sure to have salad fixin basics on hand
-make your own salad dressings

on-top-seo.com said...

I print coupons at http://www.ClickMyCoupon.com