Saturday, March 17, 2007

Coffee and Hair Salons

I don't typically put coffee and hair salons in the same sentence. I am putting together a post that includes both because as I was taking a walk this morning I was trying to rank the things in life that just blow my mind, price wise. Number one and number two on my list (still undecided on the order) is coffee and hair salons.

I should confess, I am a recovering Starbucks addict. I'll never be cured, and still slip in to the drive thru line a couple of times a month. I do actually find the coffee at Starbucks a little too strong, but there is something about that franchise that pulls me in. A few years ago I was in Portland for work and I spent my Saturday driving to Seattle just to step foot inside the original Starbucks...yep, an addict.

I should also confess that come sandal season, I will be making my way to the spa for a pedicure. I can't, and I won't, do it myself...ick.

So here is what blows my mind...$3 for a small latte, nearly $4 for a medium, and I have no idea what crazy amount you pay for a large. Add soy or other goodies and it's even more. Not to pick on S-bucks, this is the case at any coffeehouse you may find. On the other hand, darn good coffee via the McDonalds drive thru can be had for less than $1, less than $2 for a biggie cup. Head over to a gas station and if you find the right one you can have a 12 oz. cup of coffee for free if you get some gas too. This isn't to judge taste, quality, fair trade, or fancy cups and coffee cozies...remember, I LOVE a pricey coffee. What puzzles me is how the price range can be so extreme.

Hair Salons are an entirely different animal. I have had my hair cut in New York City for over $200, I've had my hair cut in my hometown for $6.99, and I have had my fair share of haircuts for costs in between. I fully acknowledge that the stylist at the $200+ salon spent over an hour with me and treated my head like it was an artist's canvas. I acknowledge that the $6.99 haircut takes about 25 minutes, does not include a wash, and only sometimes includes a 20 second blow dry. But one thing that is constant is that by day 2 of ANY hair cut I have ever received, I have it totally messed up and not looking like anything I was given by the professional. So why would I pay $38 when I seriously can get the same long term results for 7 bucks?

I know many would say: this is what I splurge on. And to that I say: rock on. Everyone needs to splurge on whatever does it for them. Until then, I'll head over to McD's and Great Clips for my coffee and style tips.

Oh, and when you can get a free newspaper w/ your Monday coffee at McD's...don't even get me started...love it!

No comments: