Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Can a Few Blocks Make a Difference?

Of course it can...it's all about location, location, location. We went to Chicago a week and a half ago. This isn't very money saving, in general, but I needed to get away for a few days. We spend most of our time downtown, and specifically on the north end of Michigan Avenue. In the past we have always stayed right on Michigan Avenue. Beautiful rooms, but that's all it is for us...a room. I was frustrated at paying so much for lodging, and decided to see if a few blocks off of Michigan Avenue would make a difference. Of course I knew the answer before I even started. I just never dreamed what a huge $ difference a few blocks can make.

The difference between where we would normally stay (The Westin) and where we did stay (Ambassador East) was $100 per night. Both are 4 star, both offer a bar, restaurant, room service, fitness center, valet parking, room service. The difference: about 4 blocks. Well worth the risk of trying another property. Total savings: $200 + some extra, needed walking.

Note: I usually use expedia.com to book hotel rooms. I actually found a better rate when I went direct to the hotel web site...it's always worth double checking.

No comments: